Winter sore throat is one of the common ailments seen in many individuals during the winter season. Even in the eye of the storm “COVID-19 situations” sore throat is something a cause of concern among many. They are typically caused by the infections due to common cold, flu, strep throat which is painful. A sore throat usually resolves in one week. Since, amid the pandemic, sore throat can make us panic.
To help you with, here we discuss a few natural remedies to ease a sore throat. Before we jump into the topic, here are a few causes of the sore throat and its symptoms. Let’s keep reading the post now.
What are the Causes of Winter Sore Throat
The cold and dry air that blows during the winter season can cause the lining of the throat to dry and leads to irritation. Apart from this, here are a few causes of sore throat
- Winter allergies occurring due to pollen, foods and chemicals
- Viral and bacterial infections- Antibiotics may be used to treat the bacterial infection but not the viral
- Tonsillitis- Both bacterial and viral infection can cause tonsillitis to occur in any individuals irrespective of the age and the gender
- Due to the flu and strep throat
- Common colds
- Mononucleosis-commonly occurs in students and children
- Chickenpox and measles
- Indoor heating can make the nose dry
- Voice strain
- Heartburn or acid reflux
- Smoke, chemical or other type of irritants present in the atmosphere
- Gastroesophageal reflux index (GERD)
- Post nasal drip caused due to too much mucus drained in the sinsusitis membrane
Symptoms of winter sore throat:
A Sore throat can feel like
- Burning sensation
- Scratchy feeling
Diagnosis of sore throat:
If you have a sore throat, then consult the doctor immediately as now it the season of COVID-19 where the symptoms of both look more or less similar. Try any of the below-mentioned home remedies and even if you suspect of having the winter sore throat then never ignore. The doctor will use the light to check for the swelling of the glands at the back of your throat and may suggest doing the rapid test to check the results within minutes. Based on the test report, your doctor may suggest you to do other tests to find the cause behind the winter sore throat.
Natural remedies to ease sore throat:
Here you can find a few natural remedies to an ease sore throat and the list are as follows:
- Gargling with salt water: Saltwater gargling is one of the age-old remedies which brings relief to your sore throat. It kills the bacteria, reduces the pain and the inflammation. The saltwater gargling loosens the mucus and helps in removing the accumulated phlegm from the throat. Just mix a half-spoon of salt in warm water and gargle for a few times in a day.
- Honey: Honey is one of the best natural remedies to ease a sore throat. Honey has a lot of potential therapeutic benefits and including them in the hot herbal tea helps to ease the throat pain. Honey also has a few properties like anticancer, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. But, while picking the honey from the supermarket, check for the raw honey as pasteurized honey can destroy many beneficial nutrients. Buy the best honey products available in India online at the most affordable prices from a trusted online pharmacy store now! Garlic is also a good immunity booster
- Herbal teas: One of the best remedies is including the spices like pepper, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, fennel seeds, tulsi, dry ginger, to name a few while preparing the herbal tea. All the above-listed spices have numerous medicinal properties which help to fight against infection while providing relief. Yes! It helps in relieving pain and reduces inflammation. So, for a quick relief never forget to sip herbal tea!
- Garlic: Addition of garlic or garlic supplements daily in your diet can help prevent the common cold. The healing action of the garlic helps to ease a sore throat as well.
- Licorice powder: Licorice powder is one of the best effective ayurvedic remedies to ease a sore throat. Mix the powder in lukewarm water and gargle with the solution for a few minutes. But if you are a pregnant woman or breastfeeding woman, then consult the doctor before you start using it.
When to see the doctor?
If natural remedies don’t work and if you have the symptoms like blood in the saliva, difficulty in swallowing, rashes, earache, stiff neck, sore joints, spinning of the head, difficulty to open the mouth, fever, feeling of lump in the throat, or have breathing difficulty becomes very severe then visiting the doctor is a must.
Your doctor may check the issue and will subscribe you with antibiotics to ease the pain. Order your prescription medicines from the best online pharmacy store in India and avail amazing medicine discount on every order you choose.